So, Friday night into Saturday morning I started work on entering the changes from the first round of paper edits on Book 5 of The Academy of the Accord series, and it… didn’t go so well.
I looked at the words on the paper and on the screen and just stared at them in disbelief at how utterly horrid they were.
I know I suck at setting a scene, but I had poor Marsden just noticing someone in the middle of nowhere. (Until a paragraph or two later I established that he was, in fact, in a town.)
Then I read more and wanted to tear my hair out. Had I not read the preceding books? Like, ever? Why was I basically ignoring everything that had previously been established?
And the wording itself was beyond awkward.
So, yeah. The first couple of pages are getting a total rewrite.
Saturday night into Sunday morning went a little better. At least, it did once I decided to copy the stuff that’s giving me trouble into a separate Word doc and print it so I can do a paper edit on it in the future. With that out of the way I could get on with the rest of it and finally started making some progress.
Sunday into Monday went well, lots of progress made, but now I’ve run into a bit of trouble. I’ve hit the part where there are decisions that need to be made and a lot of fiddling to that it matches other books, and stuff needs to be imported from other files and…
I don’t even know if the parts I need are in that doc or if I have to find them and pull them from another one – or two.
So, I still have a long way to go and it’s not all going to happen this run of night shifts, but by the end of the month I should have it done and be ready to move onto the next book.
I think I might just start using night shift for editing and do my writing during daylight hours. That might help with the juggling so many projects thing…
So overall, I’m calling this experiment a success.
So far at least.